Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Just what does 'sick' look like??

Just what does 'sick' look like???


So often someone will ask me about how I'm feeling,
or how some of my treatments are working out for me,
and people will look at me...and say....
"You, what could possibly be wrong with you?"


When I tell them just some of my six or seven diagnoses
 (I lose count, or at least try to!!)
They reply with a,
"But, you always look so healthy and happy!"


YES, I try and smile through the pain
for my children's' sake and for my own sake.
Since there is no magical cure for the things I have....
there is no need to dwell on them, and cry about them 24/7.


 Now, don't get me wrong...
There are many days that I cry.
(I always try to cry in the shower!)
Why? It's my comfort zone..and my kids can't see me when I'm in the shower!!


I just wanted to post this today to remind others
what we already know...
LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING!!
Just because someone is smiling on the outside...
Doesn't mean they aren't dying, crying, hurting, etc...on the inside!!


What it all boils down to...
is
COMPASSION,
NON-JUDGEMENT,
and
basically, that whole
NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING,
cuz I'm sure we all remember what
ASS-U-ME
stands for, right?


Ok, enough of my babbling/preaching, etc.

I hope all of you are feeling as well as you can be
under the circumstances!
I'm thinking of you all, YES ALL,
even those of you I don't know yet!!
Others in pain, are always in my thoughts :)


Luv and health to you.
~Steph

7 comments:

  1. I pink puffy heart this post (with glitter)! Looks can be SO deceiving! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Now following yours!

    Jamee @ A New Kind of Normal

    ReplyDelete
  2. You visited me and I am returning the favor [thank you!] I don't know how you found me, but how did you just describe me in a blogpost. Wow. I either cry in bed or when they are out of the house.

    If you see my pics [there aren't many] I don't look sick like you - using my cane helps strangers understand - but still.............

    You are lovely. Keep up the good fight. We can get through this. Eh? At least that is what I keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph, thanx 4 visiting my Blog! Welcome!!! Skippy is my good friend. She knows all about pain. I am sorry about your chronic pain. I can't imagine what it would be like to live with. So forgive me if anything I say sounds lame. Have a great day, and talk to ya soon xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. But wow, I totally can't tell. You also have a great attitude. BTW...I made you blog of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, i'll have to say like everyone else, although I do know you are dealing with chronic pain, but you are very beautiful...Yup, I'm superficial that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steph!
    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog! I am now following this blog of yours too! I first found your blogs when you linked up to No Ordinary Blog Hop and A Day in my Life blog hop. Tonight I did a post and linked back to this post of yours (on your sanity blog) Here is the link if you want to check it out:
    http://asliceofsmithlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/day-in-my-lifeon-saturday.html

    Thanks for being so inspiring!
    Tracy at A Slice of Smith Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are beautiful! I live with chronic pain (and I am unaware of your diagnoses, but I feel this must be something you deal with, too) we could compare notes!

    I'm guilty of seeing a a woman I thought looked perfect, and she had a tude. I thought wow, she just thinks she's perfect....bah. then a friend reminded me that she also looks perfect, yet, has serious medical problems. She said she paints (literally) a happy face, slaps on the fake tan, wears the cutesy little yoga outfits and goes about her day, but inside she is literally dying. I realized how shallow I had become. It helps to put things into perspective sometimes.

    I hope you visit my blog again, I'll be following yours! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete